Circumvent cyber threats
March 21, 2012
Cyber thieves are busy staying ahead. Here are a few tricks that will keep them on their toes and you somewhat away from their bullets. Following these guidelines will make you a difficult target to reach.
- Keep up with updates on applications just as you would your Windows updates.
- Remove AutoRun feature. The default AutoRun in an unpatched version of Windows can transfer malwares to removable storage systems.
- Use your administrative privileges sparingly as this opens up a machine to spread malwares around more easily.
- Use different passwords for different areas of the Web site and your machine. So, it makes it less easy for password guessing, and, do not go with the obvious. Change passwords often.
- Don’t download everything you get from your friends or click on links they send you.
- Less or no personal information on social networks make you uninteresting targets for malware.
- Do not use only free anti-virus. That alone is not enough. Have a multi-layered approach in addition to anti-virus. Example: firewall, anti-spam, anti-phishing.
- Backup in an external drive. In case of theft your personal information is not in somebody else’s hand. Do encrypt your sensitive data.
- Don’t use pirated software. You never know what they bring with them.
- Don’t just use any open wireless point. That is one of the easiest entry way for malwares.
Contact Omega ATC at 636-557-7777 or email email@example.com. We will help you with your data security needs.