Verizon 2012 hacking report says activist groups were tied to a high percentage of worldwide hacking
April 19, 2012
The Verizon 2012 data breach Report of 2011 showed 855 breach incidents and 174 million compromised records. They stated that 98% stemmed from External Agents and 4 % were internal employees, (58% of those data thefts were tied to activist groups. “Most breaches were avoidable (at least in hindsight) without difficult or expensive countermeasures. Low levels of PCI DSS adherence highlight a plethora of issues across the board for related organizations. Ie. Hacking, Malware, physical attacks, social tactics, privilege misuse.
Basic tips to mitigate breaches…
- Implement a firewall or ACL on remote access services
- Change default credentials of POS systems and other Internet-facing devices
- If a third party vendor is handling the two items above, make sure they’ve actually done them
- Eliminate unnecessary data; keep tabs on what’s left
- Ensure essential controls are met; regularly check that they remain so
- Monitor and mine event logs
- Evaluate your threat landscape to prioritize your treatment strategy
- Refer to the conclusion of this report for indicators and mitigators for the most common threats
For more details, read entire report.